Carnation and Snowdrop are the official January birth flowers. They themselves are beautiful and so are their special meanings!
Every month has its own set of birth flowers. They represent the month and have meanings that are believed to have origins in Ancient Rome. The Victorians also assigned meanings to flowers that are neat to know!
You may consider one or both September birth flowers when choosing a gift for your loved one! I have a list of ideas here to get those gears turning for you as well.
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Carnations represent love, devotion, and admiration.
During the Victorian era, carnations represented different things depending on their color:
- Red carnations meant affection and love.
- White carnations represented purity and were a token of good luck.
- Pink carnations symbolized gratitude.
- Yellow carnations represented sympathy or being sorry.
Pin it for later!
Snowdrops represent hope and rebirth. How suiting for when the snow is melting all around and these lovely flowers make their appearance!
The people of the Victorian Era had a vastly different view of this flower. Snowdrops represented death. It would even be considered bad luck to bring them inside.
Follow along over on Instagram!
January Birth Flower Inspired Gifts
- Birth Flower Mug - A gift they are sure to use every morning. This carnation mug is a sweet gift itself or you can fill it with treats for your loved one as part of their present! (Maybe some hot chocolate?)
- Floral jewelry - There are many different places to search for January birthday flower jewelry. Amazon and Etsy both have great options. Some options have tiny flowers in them while others have the image engraved into the pendant. Check out these gorgeous snowdrop earrings!
- Embroidery - Do it yourself or buy it on Etsy for either a lovely piece of art for the wall, a throw pillow, or add a bit of detail to clothing and even plush toys! The possibilities for this are truly endless.
- The card - A lovely card with their birth flower on the front and a heartfelt note inside is sure to bring a smile to their face!
- Gift tag - Have the perfect card already? Put a personalized January birth month flower gift tag on their present for that extra special touch!
Shop this post
- Snowdrop Earrings
- Carnation Mug
- Embroidery kit
- Necklace with pressed flowers
- Necklace with an engraving
You may also like
Which of the two January birthday flowers do you prefer, snowdrops or carnations?
Share in a comment below!