When we think about what the Summer Aesthetic encompasses, certain things come to mind over and over. Flowers, sunshine, cold delicious beverages, time in the garden, sweet treats, picnics, time at the beach, local events, and so on.
All of this makes me swoon just to think of it. Whether it's thoughts of being home on my porch with a glass of strawberry basil lemonade and a good book or out on the town ice cream in hand walking around seeing local artists with their booths set up for a festival...I'm ready! The season can pass by in a flash. Living intentionally means slowing down and enjoying the moment while it's here. Easier said than done, especially when we want to do it all.
Embracing the summer aesthetic can be as simple as little touches in your home, wardrobe, creating a summer playlist, making your activity bucket list, or what you do in the kitchen. I do my best year-round to enjoy the season: summer, fall, winter, and spring.
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Summer Color Pallete
The season is alive all around us. Take those colors and incorporate them into your home or wardrobe to fully embrace the summer aesthetic!
- White - Fresh and vibrant, white is a lovely part of any summer look or space.
- Deep but fresh - My personal favorite, deep rich colors. Magentas, blues, greens, purples, and pinks. Think of a stunning sunset or what's in the garden and take inspiration from nature.
- Bright and cheerful - Some people lean into those wild vibrant shades of their favorite colors. If this is you, go for it!
- Neutrals - Neutrals just simply work all the time! Light-colored neutrals are lovely for summer outfits and decor.
Dress to reflect that summer aesthetic! Here are some elements to consider that can help you get inspired as you plan your summer wardrobe:
- Sandals - Sandals are convenient and comfortable. Choose a stylish pair that will go with the majority of your outfits!
- Flowy blouses - Flowy and looser-fitting blouses (long and short sleeves alike!) are comfortable and whimsical this time of year.
- Dresses and skirts - Light and comfortable, dresses and skirts are perfect for the summer months.
Summer Aesthetic Home Decor
The way we decorate our home creates a certain feeling for us and all who enter. Embrace the summer aesthetic in your decor choices as you freshen up your space with items from storage, outside, or the thrift shop.
- Flowers - Fresh from the garden or local flower farm (or even faux!) Lovely blooms are a sweet touch to any and every space in your home this time of year.
- Candles - They just simply work year-round. Beeswax tapers, simple soy wax candles, or tallow candles are gorgeous on display during the day or lit in the evenings. I even bring mine outside with me as the sun sets!
- Light throw blankets - Very lightweight throw blankets over chairbacks or couches keep the space cozy without being way too hot for these summer days!
- Paper bunting - Pick whatever color cardstock suits your space (or special occasion) and make your own paper bunting for that fun and sweet garden party sort of feel.
- Hang drying herbs - As you harvest herbs from your garden, bring them inside and display them! Tie them up and hang them from an accordion rack on the wall to give your kitchen an old-world summer aesthetic that is as beautiful as it is practical.
Having a lovely summer playlist to enjoy during little moments at home, in the car with the windows down, or even in the garden helps me to feel like I'm fully embracing the summer aesthetic.
- Instrumental - Keep it chill with piano or classical guitar music!
- Upbeat and laid back together - I like to mix up some slightly upbeat music with some relaxed ones. When it's just me in the kitchen with the window open or out on the porch with some background music, I like it to fill my heart without it making me want to get up and run!
- Premade playlist - No time to make one yourself? Here is my summer playlist I've created for us to share. I add music whenever I find something that fits! Enjoy!
Summer Activities (Home & Away)
Be its a day at home or out on the town, there is so much fun to be had! Take it easy and enjoy the season or hop up and get in the car, the choice is yours.
- Gardening - Finally! It's here! Yes, there is a lot of work to be done. But whenever you can, quite literally, stop to smell the roses.
- Pressing flowers - Bring your blooms in and press them in books to use for future crafting projects!
- Take it outside - Anything and everything that can be brought outside should be whenever you get the chance! Embroidery, reading, journaling, drawing, knitting, etc can be easily packed up and brought out on a blanket in the grass or to an outdoor seating area. Do it while you can!
- Nature Walks - Take a nature walk (or intense hike) locally or even plan a trip! Bring along a nature journal for the little ones to document what they see for a nice slow stroll along a trail.
- Local Events - The newspaper, Google, bulletin boards and signs around town, Facebook, and word of mouth are all great ways to find out what's going on in your area! There's probably something for everyone going on nearly every week around your county. Family events during the day or at night, art shows, local music, fairs, movies in the park, local farms with agritourism events, etc!
- Beach days - Go spend time by the lake, creek, or ocean!
- U-Pick - Go to a berry or flower farm that offers "u-pick" times! Look them up on Google or Facebook to find addresses and their available times.
The Summer Kitchen
Bringing in freshness from the garden. Sweet refreshing beverages. Quick delicious meals. Does it get better than this? Get inspired and enjoy the summer kitchen!
- Beverages - Lemonades and sweet teas. It's time for a sweet sip! I love unwinding at the end of the day right before the sun sets with a cold glass of honey-sweetened lavender lemonade.
- Fermenting - Preserve the harvest by fermenting what you've grown! You can also ferment whatever you've brought home fresh from the farmer's market!
- Picnics - Take a meal to go! Breakfast, brunch, lunch, a snack, dinner...it all just tastes better outdoors on a beautiful day! It doesn't have to be anything fancy or over the top, but if you want to make it special then why not. Pack up a mini charcuterie board and hit the road!
- Salads - A light summer salad is a quick and delicious meal on a hot day.
- Tea - Hot or cold tea is delicious this time of year! Sweeten your morning cup with some lavender sugar to taste the summer sunshine as the day begins.
- Light baking - Sweet light baked goods taste like luxury this time of year! Strawberry shortcakes, macaroons, fruity cupcakes, and light pastries are perfect to enjoy on your own or with loved ones on these hot days.
- Homemade popsicles - Cool off with a homemade popsicle! Involve your little ones while you create fun recipes such as mango popsicles, pineapple popsicles, or even watermelon popsicles! Choose different favorite fruits and support local farmers whenever possible.
- Ice cream - It's ice cream time! Pop your ice cream maker in the freezer to prepare or enjoy a no-churn recipe!
- Infused honey - Lavender honey, rose, thyme, mint, dandelion, and so much more. Infuse some local honey with herbs from your garden to enjoy in your tea!
Filling your home with the smell of Summer brings in that freshness we all think of as this season arrives!
- Open the windows - Open up the windows to let in some fresh air! Enjoy the sweet smell of morning dew or freshly cut grass as you go about your day.
- Room Spray - Make a diy room spray with essential oils to avoid toxic store-bought sprays. There are so many combinations that you can create for different Summer scents!
- Beeswax - Beeswax candles go with all seasons. That fresh light scent brings in thoughts of bumblebees around flowers as Summer inspires us both indoors and out.
- Wax melts - Make your own or buy some from a small business and enjoy Summer aromas without worrying about an open flame.
- Simmer Pot - Set up a mini crockpot, potpourri pot, or a pot on your stovetop with a Summer inspired simmer pot to freshen up and cozy up your home!
Pin it for later!
What are you looking forward to doing this summer? Leave a comment below to inspire others as they embrace the season and summer aesthetic as well!