Every month has two special birth month flowers to go with it! Their unique meanings are so sweet to incorporate into a birthday gift for your loved one or even to just know for yourself.
The idea of birth month flowers is believed to have been started way back in Ancient Rome but the concept of flowers having meanings is even seen in Victorian society. Today, these meanings aren't widely known nor are they used for any secret communication but it is so neat to know about and feel that connection to people throughout history.
I'm going to be making some art for my children's rooms by pressing their birth month flowers in books! There are so many different ways to give gifts inspired by these flowers for all ages. I'll be sharing a few with you here today.
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Flowers assigned to each month
|January||Carnation & Snowdrop|
|February||Violet & Primrose|
|March||Daffodil & Cherry Blossom|
|April||Daisy & Sweet Pea|
|May||Lily of the Valley & Hawthorn|
|June||Rose & Honeysuckle|
|July||Larkspur & Water Lily|
|August||Gladiolus & Poppy|
|September||Aster & Morning Glory|
|October||Marigold & Cosmos|
|November||Chrysanthemum & Peony|
|December||Holly & Narcissus|
Yes! While the most commonly known example is the use of any flowers as a sign of affection for someone, each flower also has a secret meaning. These meanings were known and used in Victorian times for communicating in a subtle and socially acceptable way (for both good things as well as some pretty unkind things!)
Pin it for later!
While the most obvious gift would be the flower(s) themselves...they may not always be available for purchase and/or your loved one may not be a flower gift kind of person. Here are some birth month flower ideas that AREN’T fresh cut flowers themselves:
- Fake flowers - A vase that suits the style of their home along with some lovely arranged fake flowers may be the perfect gift for someone who loves flowers but doesn’t love when they die!
- Floral jewelry - There are many places to search for different kinds of birth month flower jewelry. Amazon and Etsy both have great options. Some have tiny flowers in them while others have the image engraved into the pendant. Here is a lovely engraved earring option to check out as well. Which is your favorite?
- Embroidery - Do it yourself or buy it on Etsy for either a lovely piece of art for the wall, a throw pillow, or add a bit of detail to clothing and even plush toys! The possibilities for this are truly endless.
- Mugs - Who doesn't love a good mug? This is a gift they're sure to use every day! Check out this October mug!
- Stickers! - Floral stickers are great for decorating a card or gift wrap but can also be a part of the gift itself. For example, these narcissus stickers would be a sweet gift for your loved one born in December!
- The card - A lovely card with their birth flower on the front and a heartfelt note inside is sure to bring a smile to their face!
- Gift tag - Have a card already? Put a personalized gift tag on their gift with their birth flower and name on it for that extra special touch!
Follow along over on Instagram!
Birth Month Flowers & Meanings
Flowers: Carnation and Snowdrop
Meaning: Admiration, love, hope, and gratitude.
Read more here!
Flowers: Violet and Primrose
Meaning: Modesty, faithfulness, and humility.
Read more here!
Flowers: Daffodil and Cherry Blossom
Meaning: New beginnings, prosperity, and faithfulness.
Read more here!
Flowers: Daisy and Sweet Pea
Meaning: Purity, innocence, transformation, and blissful pleasure.
Flowers: Lily of the Valley and Hawthorn
Meaning: Sweetness, hope, and purity.
Flowers: Rose and Honeysuckle
Meaning: Love, beauty, honor, faith, and happiness.
Flowers: Larkspur and Water Lily
Meaning: Positivity, dignity, and grace.
Flowers: Gladiolus and Poppy
Meaning: Strength of character, imagination, integrity, and faithfulness.
Flowers: Aster and Morning Glory
Meaning: Love, affection, wisdom, valor, and innocence.
Flowers: Marigold and Cosmos
Meaning: Creativity, passion, peace, and beauty.
Flowers: Chrysanthemum and Peony
Meaning: Loyalty, honesty, love, and well wishes.
Flowers: Holly and Narcissus
Meaning: Hope, wealth, and protection.
The Perfect Gifts
Scroll back up to enter your email and receive your FREE birth month flower gift tags to add to any birthday gift!
- Necklace with pressed flowers
- Necklace with an engraving
- Engraved earrings
- October Birth Flower Mug
- Narcissus Stickers (December Birth Flower)
- Embroidery kit
What birth month flower inspired gifts do you have in mind?
Leave a comment below to help others decide on what they'll be gifting their loved ones!