Achieve the fall aesthetic you swoon over in photos in real life. Slowing down to savor autumn and make small changes along with the season (and the leaves) will make you feel so cozy!
When you think of the classic autumn aesthetic, you most likely think of warm-toned colors that match the foliage. It can be expressed in your clothing, home decor, the music you listen to, in the kitchen, etc.
It's time to break out the bins and check out the thrift shops. You don't need to spend a ton of money to achieve the fall aesthetic of your dreams. It can be as simple as bringing in natural elements from your own yard to displaying seasonal fruit in a lovely basket.
When wanting to create that fall hygge in your home, keep in mind what you love should drive your decision making. It should feel cozy to you and be true to your style! Have fun with this and don't stress. It can be done throughout all four seasons: summer, autumn, winter, and spring.
This Post May Contain Affiliate Links. Please Read Our Disclosure Policy.
Autumn color palette
Keep in mind those perfect fall colors when choosing clothing and home decor!
- Warm colors - Red, orange, and yellow are warm colors and they suit this season perfectly!
- Earth tones - These colors have a brownish hue and resemble the soil. They are staple fall colors.
Yes! Deep dark cool colors (green, blue, and purple) also fit into the fall aesthetic beautifully! Keep them rich and dark to suit the season.
Note on dark fall aesthetic
Take any typical fall colors discussed above and choose a darker option! Instead of a bright orange top or piece of decor, opt for a deep burnt orange! Pair black with your choices instead of white to keep it dark and moody.
Pin it for later!
Having the right elements included in your outfit can help you to achieve the ideal autumn aesthetic.
- Knits - Sweaters, hats, cardigans, and even socks that are knit add that cozy fall touch to any outfit!
- Flannel - Truly, a fall aesthetic must-have. Classic flannel can be incorporated into your fall outfits as a top, scarf, or the print on your accessories such as your purse!
- Denim - Denim jackets and jeans are practical and stylish for those cool fall evenings.
- Gold and bronze - Break out the warm-tone jewelry to add an autumnal touch to your accessories.
- Ankle boots - Cute ankle boots add to your fall outfits without them looking like you're bracing for a blizzard!
Create a Fall Playlist
Get in the mood for fall with a curated fall playlist! I made the perfect autumn playlist to share. I add songs to it whenever something that feels like fall comes around. Be sure to check it out! Listen in the car or play it softly in the background in your home.
- Instrumental - Keep it chill with piano or classical guitar music. A few artists I love to listen to are Alan Gogoll, Ed Gerhard, and John Danley.
- Relaxing voices - Find artists who make you think of fall with relaxing voices. Some of my favorites are Gregory Alan Isakov, Norah Jones, and Alexi Murdoch.
- Premade playlists - I made an autumn playlist to share but you can also look up other premade playlists instead of building your own! It's a great way to discover new artists and songs to add to your own library!
Fall inspiration in the kitchen
Embrace autumn in your kitchen! Not only will this fill your home with lovely fall scents, but it'll also taste like the season and warm your belly.
- Soups - It's finally soup season! Make your stock at home for maximum fall
- Baking - Pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, oh my! Get baking with all those lovely fall spices!!
- Beverages - Hot apple cider, pumpkin spice coffees, hot tea, and beyond. This time of year is made a little cozier with a hot mug in hand!
- Fall harvest-themed charcuterie - Lean into what's currently in season as you set up a charcuterie board for a crowd or for your family on a special weekend evening.
- Cooking - Roast a whole chicken with hearty root vegetables and aromatic herbs for a lovely meal. It's time for pot roasts and crockpot meals! Comfort food is a must this time of year.
Changing up your home to create a warm cozy fall aesthetic is sure to make you happy and make your guests feel welcome. This list will hopefully spark inspiration as you plan for that fall hygge in your home!
- Natural decor - Bowls of seasonal fruit, pumpkins, gourds, dried flowers, sticks, leaves, etc all make perfect natural home decor items!
- Wood elements - Dark wooden baskets, picture frames, coasters, etc add a touch of autumn in different places. I even thrifted a cornucopia this year to display!
- Candles - Romantic, beautiful, fragrant, and perfect for your home's fall aesthetic. Beeswax, soy wax, tallow, lard, etc can be bought to make your own or you can support a small business that creates clean candles!
- Swap the throw pillows and blankets - Use blankets and throw pillows that go with the fall aesthetic. I store my throw blankets in a chest and rotate them seasonally to keep it fresh!
- Books - Break out (or thrift) vintage books to stack up that have fall colors on the bindings OR flip them around for that trendy paper-only bookshelf look.
Follow along over on Instagram!
What comes to mind when you think of fall smells? Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves...there are so many! Here are a few ways to incorporate fall scents into your home this season.
- Simmer pot - Set up a mini crockpot, potpourri pot, or a pot on your stovetop with a fall inspired simmer pot to cozy up your home.
- Wax melts - Make your own or buy some from a small business and enjoy autumn aromas without worrying about an open flame.
- Room Spray - Make a diy room spray with essential oils to avoid toxic store-bought sprays. There are so many combinations that you can create for different fall scents!
Autumn activities for adults and/or the whole family will vary based on where you live! Your town or nearby towns may have some very special and unique events going on.
- Fall festivals - Google or search Facebook to find local events near you!
- Nature walks - Enjoy the foliage and brisk air out on a nature trail! Bring a warm drink in a travel mug and dress for the weather.
- Pumpkin patch - Go to the pumpkin patch to enjoy selecting the perfect pumpkin, go through a corn maze, and take a hay ride!
- Apple picking - Any local orchards? Go and pick some apples for homemade applesauce!
Fall Activities at Home
- Pumpkin carving or painting - Carve or paint a pumpkin (be sure to save the seeds to make baked pumpkin seeds!)
- Gardening - Wait, what? Gardening? Yep! Time to plant bulbs depending on your gardening zone! Pop on a flannel and grab your shovel.
- Reading - Brew up some hot tea and cozy up with your next read.
- Cooking and Baking - Comfort food and fall inspired desserts can be homemade and enjoyed with loved ones (or by yourself with a good movie!)
- Crafting - Knitting, sewing, DIYs, crafts, candlemaking...now is the time to cozy up inside with your autumn playlist, a hot cup of tea, and get creative!
- Herbal preparations - Use a chilly evening to prepare some fire cider, calendula salve, and other herbal preparations for the cold months ahead!
- Journaling and drawing - Write in your journal while wrapped up in a warm blanket on the couch! It's time to fill a sketchbook with autumn inspired drawings.
How will you savor the season?
Leave a comment below and share your favorite fall aesthetic outfits, foods, scents, activities, or anything autumn hygge you can think of!
So many wonderful ideas to make a home cozy this season. I'm so excited to break out the flannel blankets and beeswax candles
Thank you for putting together the autumn playlist! Listening now
You are so welcome, enjoy!